Over the past 30 years, the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians has developed a diversified economy that has created employment opportunities for every Tribal member in the workforce. With judicious government and strategic development, we’ve done right by our people and earned widespread recognition as an industrious, progressive, and fair business partner.
- Mississippi House Bill 1230 is passed, allowing businesses located on Tribal lands to be eligible for Mississippi Development Authority discretionary programs through the Ace Fund, the Industry Incentive Financing Revolving Fund, and the Existing Industry Productivity Loan Fund; this provides additional financial incentives for businesses that partner with the Tribe.
- Choctaw American Insurance, Inc. started doing business as part of Chief Cyrus Ben’s effort to diversify the Tribe’s sources of revenue. CAI’s first economic venture is assisting low to moderate income families obtain FHA financing to purchase a home.
- The Tribe’s Small Business Development Center offered a new Fast Start Class to help potential Tribal entrepreneurs develop a business model. Over a six-week period, individuals are given the opportunity to explore the feasibility of their business idea.
- Through a partnership with the Mississippi Coding Academies, a pilot program was launched at Choctaw Central High School. A licensed instructor taught the virtual course in coding and applications. Six Choctaw students completed this course, and expansion to more students is planned.
- The Tribe joins the Tribal Land Conservation Initiative, a national program that enables Native American tribes to implement sustainable management practices to preserve their land, protect the environment, and create economic opportunities for their people.
- The Tribe completed its third New Markets Tax Credit transaction, yielding $2.3 million to expand our early childhood daycare facilities.
- MBCI finalized engineering and design for a reservation-wide broadband telecommunication system that will begin deployment in 2020.
The Tribe created Chahta Services, Inc. to provide IT, cybersecurity and software skills training to the local community and other commercial customers. This entity also has established partnerships with virtual reality app developers to provide customized, virtual reality-based training for commercial and government customers.
The Tribe was selected to become a TVA Rural Certified Economic Development Community signifying our professional capabilities to support rural economic development. There are only 2 communities in the TVA 8-state region that have achieved this certification.
The Tribe secured 2 census tracts as designated Opportunity Zones to incentivize business investments on these lands.
The Tribe hosted our first ever Hackathon in partnership with NASA, East Mississippi Community College, and local industry to promote innovation and entrepreneurial thinking to local high school and college students.
- The Tribe begins construction of 9 miles of natural gas distribution line to serve all of the commercial and governmental facilities in the Pearl River Community.
- Choctaw Electrical, Inc. receives SBA 8(a) certification to support its efforts to service federal agencies.
- Pearl River Graphics launches operations in the Choctaw TechParc to provide a full range of commercial printing services.
Choctaw Fresh Produce expands to include five separate farming locations throughout East Central Mississippi and achieves USDA-certified organic status.
Emilia Resources, an Israeli-owned cosmetics manufacturer, leases manufacturing space from the Tribe in DeKalb, MS.
Chahta Metalworks is launched to provide custom metal fabrication and powder coating services
- Choctaw Fresh Produce begins farming operations to provide fresh produce to the community both on- and off-Reservation.
- The Big Creek General Store is opened to provide convenient goods and services to residents in the Bogue Chitto community.
- Choctaw Electrical, Inc. is formed to provide electrical subcontracting services.
Bok Homa Casino opens in November near Sandersville, MS.
The Chahta Holding Group is created as an umbrella organization to oversee the Tribe’s expanding federal contracting portfolio.
- In February, Hilton Garden Inn Choctaw opens.
- Choctaw-Ikhana, Inc. is established in June to expand the Tribe’s federal contracting operations.
- The Choctaw TechParc, a 150-acre business community dedicated to serving the needs of the high-tech industry, opens in March.
- East Central Community College opens the Integrated Technologies Training Center in the Pearl River Community to provide customized workforce training to area employers.
- Lake Pushmataha, a 285-acre recreational lake, opens to the public.
- Real-Time Laboratories, an Israeli-owned defense contractor, leases manufacturing space in the Pearl River Community.
Chahta Commercial Laundry begins operations as a high-quality provider of linen service to regional hotels and hospitals.
- The Golden Moon Hotel & Casino officially opens.
- Geyser Falls Water Theme Park opens.
AGT, Applied Geo Technologies, Inc., is founded in December as the Tribe’s first high-tech business.
- Choctaw Ace Hardware opens.
- Choctaw Manufacturing Enterprise opens Plant 3 in the Carthage, MS, Industrial Park.
- Choctaw Town Center Phase 1 opens to replace the original Choctaw Shopping Center.
- Construction begins on the 285-acre Choctaw Recreational Lake.
- Chahta Enterprise opens its facilities in Sonora, Mexico.
- Dancing Rabbit Golf Club opens the Oaks course, another 18-hole course.
- Conehatta Market opens in the Conehatta community.
Chahta Enterprise expands its facilities in DeKalb, MS.
- Dancing Rabbit Golf Club opens the 18-hole Azaleas course.
- Silver Star Hotel & Casino opens Phase 4 with 400 new hotel rooms, three additional restaurants, more gaming areas, and retail shopping.
First American Plastic Molding Enterprise builds a new manufacturing facility in Ocean Springs, MS.
Choctaw Manufacturing Enterprise opens Plant 2 in the Carthage, MS, Industrial Park.
- Choctaw Electronics Enterprise expands its facility to accommodate increasing business.
- First American Plastic Molding Enterprise, a joint venture with Quad, Inc., opens in Ocean Springs, MS, to produce plastic cutlery for McDonald’s Corporation.
- Silver Star Hotel & Casino opens in the Pearl River Community.
- Silver Star Hotel & Casino opens Phase 2 by converting the bingo hall into an area.
Choctaw/Yates joint venture is created to act as the general contractor for major construction projects on the Reservation.
First American Printing & Direct Mail is purchased out of bankruptcy in Ocean Springs, MS, at the request of Senator Trent Lott.
- Choctaw Forestry Enterprise opens as a forestry management company.
- Choctaw Office Supply opens.
Choctaw Shopping Center opens in the Pearl River Community to make goods and services more convenient for Tribal members.
- Chahta Enterprise opens another facility in Conehatta, MS, to employ its residents.
- Choctaw Residential Center opens to provide a high-quality nursing home for Tribal members and area residents.
- Chahta Enterprise opens a new facility in DeKalb, MS, to employ residents in the Bogue Chitto Community at the request of Senator John C. Stennis.
- Choctaw Manufacturing Enterprise opens in the Carthage, MS, Industrial Park as a contract manufacturing company employing residents of the Red Water and Standing Pine communities.
Choctaw Electronics Enterprise opens in the Pearl River Industrial Park as a joint venture with Oxford Speaker Company to manufacture automotive speakers for Ford Motor Company and Chrysler Corporation.
Chahta Enterprise expands its facility in the Pearl River Industrial Park.
American Greeting leases a manufacturing facility in the Pearl River Industrial Park. Construction of this facility was financed with industrial revenue bonds, a first in Indian country.
Chahta Enterprise Plant 1 opens to make automotive wiring harnesses for Packard Electric, a division of General Motors.
Chahta Development Company opens as the first Tribally owned company.
Director of Economic Development
Office of Economic Development
375 Industrial Road | STE 2
Choctaw, MS 39350